Oceans of Osyrus

10 hours ago, Space Cat said:

Phish question:  how would you describe the difference between the band's jamming style in 1998 vs. 1999-2000?

In 98 they were still laying down the FONK.  By 2000, they were still fonky, but they were moving more toward the ambient thing, like the Fukuoka Jams and that kind of thing. There are assumptions one could make on their drug habits based on the music they were making, but that's not what you asked.

18 hours ago, Space Cat said:

Phish question:  how would you describe the difference between the band's jamming style in 1998 vs. 1999-2000?

I always think of 1998 as being a bit shinier than 1997. By that I mean that they found a handful of things that worked, and didn't really stretch out or explore. Hampton Comes Alive is probably the perfect way of explaining 1998. It's got some good jams, a handful of tunes they stretch out in a pretty way, but nothing where things just get totally bizarre or they step out of their comfort zone. I find that the band will often lull in the tour before they release a new record because they're kind of stuck. Keep in mind that the band didn't really let loose with the Farmhouse material until summer and fall of 99, so in late 98 and early 99 the band was not digging deep. They did the summer of covers to make up for the fact that there weren't really new tunes. 

I like fall 99 and 2000 because they had new tunes, started developing a new spacey sound, and they just really were on point. I honestly never listen much to 98 shows just because they sound kind of tinsel-y. 

1 hour ago, wil-san said:

TAB in Spring 99, when they were a trio, was pretty awesome. 5/10/99 is one of my favorites.

Yea that 5/3/99 Michigan Theater show is one of my favorites, tour opener I believe.  This vid below is from the show after. Never seen it before.

32 minutes ago, sunwasbleu said:

He fucking destroyed Will It Go Round In Circles on that tour. 

Hell yeah! There's a great version of that in 5/10/99 - his ripping there is probably the highlight of the show. There's this one part where he holds a screaming note for a long time and let's the tension build and you're like "yep, that's why we love this stuff."

Edited by wil-san

I saw Trey's trio at the Fox in Atl, but I can't recall the year. Did he play there more than once with that line up? I think it was 2001. Earlier that week The Dave Chappelle aired the famous Rick James episode. I remember hearing people in the venue say "I'm Rick James bitch" all night.

That 3-piece was awesome. "Ooh Child" was a favorite cover. I wish Phish would play that.

I believe the trio only took place in '99 but I could be off on that (known by many as the Trey in May tour). TAB did play a few shows in ATL in '01 but all were with horns. many TAB shows can be streamed here including all of the 3-piece Trio shows - although '01 and '02 are missing completely???: http://www.jamstreams.net/trey/1999

little know fact - First Tube was the opening tune at the 1st TAB show in '98 ---- at that time it was called Big Bong and had (minimal) lyrics. Check it out:

http://www.jamstreams.net/trey/1998/1998-04-17

On June 14, 2016 at 4:50 PM, Space Cat said:

1998 was a recovery year from the craziness of 97.. They were more locked in and more intentional with where a jam might be headed because they had honed in on the newer jamming style.  99 was a little zanier with bigger jams and more attention to open, ambient spaces which was reeled in slightly in 00 after big cypress which was so good that they weren't quite sure how to proceed.  97-99 to me is peak phish with 98 being the pinnacle.  

1 hour ago, ICCULIS said:

I believe the trio only took place in '99 but I could be off on that (known by many as the Trey in May tour). TAB did play a few shows in ATL in '01 but all were with horns. many TAB shows can be streamed here including all of the 3-piece Trio shows - although '01 and '02 are missing completely???: http://www.jamstreams.net/trey/1999

little know fact - First Tube was the opening tune at the 1st TAB show in '98 ---- at that time it was called Big Bong and had (minimal) lyrics. Check it out:

http://www.jamstreams.net/trey/1998/1998-04-17

8' Flourescent Tubes :)

1 hour ago, ICCULIS said:

I believe the trio only took place in '99 but I could be off on that (known by many as the Trey in May tour). TAB did play a few shows in ATL in '01 but all were with horns. 

Well shit, maybe I'm wrong. Could've sworn it was just the trio. Then again, that was 16 years ago, so my memory might be a little foggy. I saw a few shows he did on the post-hiatus amphitheater tour as well. Raleigh and Lakewood. Those early Trey shows were really fun. It's been a long time since I heard it, but I remember the Bonnaroo set being pretty good overall, and "Night Speaks to a Woman" (a song I don't like) being the fire. That was the end of a long weekend, and honestly, we were all just wanting to hear Phish, but it was a nice capper to the festival.

Edited by paulitical

yea those Fox 2001 shows were more than just the trio.  Remember the first show was on a Sunday night, last of the tour I think and Trey announced towards the end of the first set they were playing an additional show Monday night.

I remember that and Arras stopping 10 miles outside of ATL, announcing he couldn't drive and letting me take the wheel. Thanks man! :lol: At least he didn't fall straight to sleep and not keep me company on the remainder of the ride. (100)

Edited by McGregor

2 hours ago, McGregor said:

yea those Fox 2001 shows were more than just the trio.  Remember the first show was on a Sunday night, last of the tour I think and Trey announced towards the end of the first set they were playing an additional show Monday night.

I remember that and Arras stopping 10 miles outside of ATL, announcing he couldn't drive and letting me take the wheel. Thanks man! :lol: At least he didn't fall straight to sleep and not keep me company on the remainder of the ride. (100)

Yeah, when 18 wheelers start looking like giant bunny rabbits on the road its time to call it a night.   :lookaround:

Edited by Arras

7 minutes ago, Arras said:

Yeah, when 18 wheelers start looking like giant bunny rabbits on the road its time to call it a night.   :lookaround:

Haha or it's time to double down on whatever you ate the first time and kick it into high gear.  Prob best not to be driving either way. :lol: