Oceans of Osyrus
Sign in to follow this  
Seventy4Eyes

Phish Summer 2018 Tour

20 hours ago, Sagan said:

I'll take the under on this.

Tonight will be the heat. And I don't think the "in-a-two-night-stand-sometimes-they-play-new-material-and-the-other-night-they-play-a-better-list" pattern is super new. Look at 11/27/98 and 11/28/98. Heat one night, weaker sauce the next. Or Spectrum 99. Newer songs and weaker first set night 1. Epic night 2.

If there's one thing I know, it's that the band really knows when they don't have a good show and they generally come back with a bit of focus the following night.

Looks like they killed it and they followed the whole 2-night stand theory. Did you all really think they were going to pull a weak sauce show on night 2 at MPP on a Sunday that was webcast AND was the last show of the actual tour prior to a week off before the festival? :lol:

2 hours ago, Carl Zanzibar said:

Wife said the setlist got a amended since last night. May be considered a tease for one point of them? 

They went back into the Reprise ending in the Piper jam.

-Trey's tone still sounds like shit to me on the recordings. Does it sound better live?

30 minutes ago, Dustin said:

They went back into the Reprise ending in the Piper jam.

-Trey's tone still sounds like shit to me on the recordings. Does it sound better live?

I like his tone when it's used properly. It's very distorted and heavy. He's been using it for a lot of power chords. A cover of "Won't Get Fooled Again" seems like a no-brainer at this point.

43 minutes ago, Dustin said:

It does sound different live.  Some of the sounds are jarring on tape but did not even register with me at the shows.  His rig sounds incredible live, imo.

Live Phish should really go back to a separate multitrack mix for the recordings.  I’m not sure why they changed because last summer’s recordings sounded great.

Trey's tone (to my ears) this tour is grittier and more overdriven than I've heard it.  He has struggled to control his feedback now and then (see Alpharetta 2001, where the long sustained notes would howl out before he wanted them to.)  But as M Thorne observed at Raleigh, he at least nailed it for the Note in YEM.

3 hours ago, M Thorne said:

It does sound different live.  Some of the sounds are jarring on tape but did not even register with me at the shows.  His rig sounds incredible live, imo.

Live Phish should really go back to a separate multitrack mix for the recordings.  I’m not sure why they changed because last summer’s recordings sounded great.

Oh, were last year’s multi-track? I thought they went to stereo only for all the LivePhish stuff after A Live One. 

I seem to recall from the last episode of Tom’s podcast that they said that they had been running a separate multi channel mix for the Live Phish recordings and that they changed that this year at the bands request to use the same mix that is sent to the house.

5 hours ago, M Thorne said:

I'd agree with this.  Attendance bias aside, I thought his guitar sounded great live, and it sounds honky, excessively overdriven, and without definition on tape.