Oceans of Osyrus
Sign in to follow this  
ICCULIS

NYE 2017 - Long Awaited Return to The Garden

36 minutes ago, madcap said:

i only tuned in late set, caught 6 mins of farmhouse- swore i heard a no woman no cry tease by troy, ya?

Definitely did, we noted it in the chat

48 minutes ago, Sagan said:

Definitely did, we noted it in the chat

The entire Farmhouse song is a No Woman No Cry tease/copy.

Edited by Dustin

Just now, justjoe said:

So it was just a big boat?

The wristbands being tied into the lighting rig was sick, and the main thing. I didn’t really get the point of ship, other than it relating to the song a bit. I guess some of the light effects were supposed to look like waves, but that was kinda hard to tell from the stream.

9 minutes ago, justjoe said:

So it was just a big boat?

Yep. The stage design made it look like a big pirate ship, with a cool Phish Jolly Roger flag attached. The wristbands lit up in ocean colors (blue, white, and  turquoise) so the effect was supposed to be a boat in the ocean. All of the songs in the third set referenced water or being on a ship. ASIHTOS was killer, though they completely blew a GOLDEN opportunity to play "For Those About to Rock" bc they had cannons onstage. 

Good show! First set was an old school setlist, second set was the best overall, third set and gag was fun. It was not as spectacular as the golf or the Meatstick nor as groundbreaking as the Hourglass. But it was impressive and fun nonetheless.

7 minutes ago, paulitical said:

Oh, I love that song. It's about time Phish incorporated more TV themes into their repertoire. 

My gf's dream is to have the band play the "Cheers" theme song (0).

Seemed cool to me.  Wasn't overwhelming, but with the bars they have set, it's hard to top every year.  The wrist bands were pretty cool, neat to see that, and I really loved that Phish flag streaming from the ship.  I thought it looked spectacular.  Would have been cool to do "Atlantis" by Donovan like PGroove used to do, eh joe?  Imagine that song on that scale in an arena!

Were the cannon  explosions air cannons or was it someone planted in the audience throwing up confetti?  That was pretty fun too.

But man!  That Fuego > Jibboo segment was pretty rad!  And the YEM was cool too.  Being judgemental from home, I thought Trey had a pretty bad night.  But when it got to the improv, he was money.  

1 minute ago, Carl Zanzibar said:

Seemed cool to me.  Wasn't overwhelming, but with the bars they have set, it's hard to top every year.  The wrist bands were pretty cool, neat to see that, and I really loved that Phish flag streaming from the ship.  I thought it looked spectacular.  Would have been cool to do "Atlantis" by Donovan like PGroove used to do, eh joe?  Imagine that song on that scale in an arena!

I had the SAME thought and kept expecting that song. I guess, with the exceptions of "Loving Cup" and "2001," they weren't playing any covers for the run. 

Were the cannon  explosions air cannons or was it someone planted in the audience throwing up confetti?  That was pretty fun too

Yep. Red spotlights pointed to the ceiling with confetti and a big "boom!" sound effect after each cannon "fired." I wish they utilized it more.

But man!  That Fuego > Jibboo segment was pretty rad!  And the YEM was cool too.  Being judgemental from home, I thought Trey had a pretty bad night.  But when it got to the improv, he was money.  

Exactly. The "Jiboo" was really great! The improv last night was good stuff, and the energy was flowing. The best overall show of the run is 12/30, but last night gave you anything you could want from any given Phish show.

The boat and ocean was visually incredibly stunning. The music during it, not so much. Sat was a killer show musically. Sets 1 and 2 Sunday were killer musically. The new song Soul Planet was your typical 3.0 Trey pop song, "the wind is music, the ocean is life, yadda yadda". Then the vocals for Free and ASIHTOS were dreadful. I know they were caught up in the moment and balloons were everywhere, but I was embarrassed that my wife was listening and that's how we brought in 2018. So they overcame that with a Prince Caspian/Velvet Sea 1-2 punch. 

Great run overall, set 3 was quite a letdown though. Better song choices could've made the stunning visual environment they created such a special thing, but that's not what happened. 

1 minute ago, dug less beers said:

Great run overall, set 3 was quite a letdown though. Better song choices could've made the stunning visual environment they created such a special thing, but that's not what happened. 

That's how I felt. The third set song choices were no different from a rainy outdoor show. All that was missing was "Drowned" and "Water in the Sky." 

3 minutes ago, teenagewasteland said:

Yep. Red spotlights pointed to the ceiling with confetti and a big "boom!" sound effect after each cannon "fired." I wish they utilized it more.

Me too!  It made me think Phish had taken over "Pirates of the Caribbean" at Disney World and was super hilarious!