Oceans of Osyrus
Sign in to follow this  
Hessy

Show of the Week #32: 4/25/1994 Knoxville Civic Coliseum, Knoxville, TN

Standard fare for Spring '94?

A well executed, quick Landlady opener brings the first set up to the frenzied pace that SOAM closes with. I think I finally found SOAMs I enjoy and they were all played in '94. Between Landlady and SOAM is the consistency you'd expect out of '94 shows. Tight versions of DWD, Tela, and Poor Heart with an interesting segue in Fee and build to Foam. The Runaway Jim is the show highlight for me. Trey and Fish are feral on this thing. Overall, a solid set with dream song selection, flow and ebb. Unfortunately the two acoustic songs in the middle of set I are nearly inaudible from the sbd.

Set 2 Antelope gets dirty and playful like any good '94 Antelope with a few Layla teases sprinkled around the opening section. Divided Sky is played with a lot of gusto and I found myself revisiting it a few times after listening through the show. I'm not sure what it is, but I'm enamored with Trey's playing on this Divided before the peak. Something so pleasing about that '94 tone and playing.  Again, tight versions of great song selection and placement fill out the rest of the set with Coil, Curtain, Sample. 

Strong... maybe unremarkable by '94 standards, encores.

http://phish.in/1994-04-25

[1] Trey sang verses through megaphone.
[2] Acoustic, without microphones. Fish on washboard.
[3] Acoustic, without microphones.
[4] Without microphones.
Trey sang the verses of Fee through a megaphone. Ginseng Sullivan and Dog Faced Boy were performed acoustic and, along with Amazing Grace, without microphones. Ginseng also featured Fish on washboard. Antelope contained several Layla teases.

Edited by Hessy