Oceans of Osyrus
Sign in to follow this  
Space Cat

Show of the Week #31: 8/12/1998 Vernon Downs, NY

Alright I'm taking the liberty of getting this off of life support here. 

http://phish.in/1998-08-12

Likely some of you have heard this one before, but maybe it's been a while.  Anyway, last show of summer 98 tour before Lemonwheel. 

Second Ramble On of the tour, and this one is much more interesting, with the jam that segues right into Slave, which includes heavy Ramble On teases from Trey.  Set 2, the Mike's is great, Simple has a very unusual but short, chunky jam that deviates from the song's structure (miniature Type II?) before melting seamlessly into Rift.  Coil finishes the set (hardly played this tour, if at all?) and then you get that killer encore of Vernon Down the House and YEM.   Great shit. Really fun show. 

NOTEWORTHY JAMS

old notes: http://www.gadiel.com/phish/1998/81298.html

Possum was dedicated to its author, Jeff Holdsworth, and Fish’s band in high school, Frodo. Ramble On was played in honor of Fish seeing a Led Zeppelin concert at age eleven and contained Cocaine teases; Slave subsequently included Ramble On teases, as well as Those Were the Days teases from Trey and Mike. The Phish debut of Burning Down the House contained alternate lyrics ("Vernon down the house"). YEM included HYHU and Mission: Impossible theme teases.
Edited by Space Cat

On 5/27/2017 at 2:01 PM, Space Cat said:

I think it's good enough top to bottom to warrant a LivePhish SBD release.  The aud recording is not exactly stellar. 

La Grange / Makisupa opener.  Raging Possum.  Ramble On > Jam > Slave.  Almost 40 minutes of Mikes > Simple > Rift.  Weekapaug / Coil closer.  Untouchable encore.  Masterful execution of compositions and improv.  This might be the most overlooked show ever.  Plus its a horse track, right?  I bet there was kind of an oddball vibe going on.  

1 minute ago, Seventy4Eyes said:

La Grange / Makisupa opener.  Raging Possum.  Ramble On > Jam > Slave.  Almost 40 minutes of Mikes > Simple > Rift.  Weekapaug / Coil closer.  Untouchable encore.  Masterful execution of compositions and improv.  This might be the most overlooked show ever.  Plus its a horse track, right?  I bet there was kind of an oddball vibe going on.  

WE DID IT

On 5/27/2017 at 2:01 PM, Space Cat said:

I think it's good enough top to bottom to warrant a LivePhish SBD release.  The aud recording is not exactly stellar. 

Good call!

On August 12, 1998 Phish played outdoors at Vernon Downs – a harness racetrack in the town of Vernon, NY.  This was the last regular show of 23 U.S. dates leading up to Lemonwheel, a tour dubbed the Summer Of Covers due to near-nightly bustouts of new cover songs.  It was Phish’s only Vernon show and a homecoming for Jon Fishman, who grew up in nearby Syracuse.  Vernon’s general admission, open field set the stage for a pre-festival barnburner.

Among set I highlights were the La Grange > Makisupa Policeman > Funky Bitch opening sequence, Possum dedicated to Jeff Holdsworth, and a transcendent Ramble On > Slave To The Traffic Light set closer.  Set II was a set-long Mike’s Groove, from a potent Mike’s Song > Simple > Rift through a fiery Loving Cup > Sleeping Monkey > Weekapaug Groove.  The Encore featured summer’s last new cover - Phish’s only Burning Down The House (sung as “Vernon Down the House”) followed by You Enjoy Myself at Fish’s request.  All in all this was an old-school, rowdy rocker with some serious jams throughout.

8/12/98 Vernon was recorded by Paul Languedoc to 2-track soundboard DAT and mastered by Fred Kevorkian. The show is available 2/13/18 via: the LivePhish+ App and as MP3, FLAC and FLAC HD downloads at LivePhish.com.

On 2/13/2018 at 6:35 PM, Space Cat said:

Well i guess this makes me King Shit of Fuck Mountain then, don't it!?

Can you call an 8/20/93 release next?