Oceans of Osyrus
Sign in to follow this  
wil-san

Tom Marshall and his Under The Scales podcast

It looks like the Tom Marshall thread was lost in the recent data snafu, so I thought I'd start a new one. Did you guys listen to the podcast episodes? I thought they were really good. At one point he called it an "almost weekly podcast" so hopefully that means new episodes will come out pretty often. 

Under the Scales podcast

Edited by ICCULIS
topic title

15 hours ago, teenagewasteland said:

The interviewee on the "Riding the Rails" episode had the same voice and cadence of every spun out wook I've ever spoken to in my life. That said, he knows his shit about getting right up to the front row.

yea I could only take his segment for about 20 minutes before I had listened to enough from that dude. 

Guy gets in line for a phish show before the sun comes up? :P You are doing it wrong brother, sorry. 

I want to hear more tom/trey stories, less phan stories. It'll be interesting where it goes from here. The first two were great, third one not so much imo.

Edited by McGregor

Listened to all three, don't disagree with any comments so far. Good stuff!

i met Tom in ATL a year or two ago at the Mike show, cool dude. I walked up at setbreak as he was finishing talking to a few people about Fare Thee Well. I told him I've really liked his lyrics over the years and really liked Amfibian's version of Wedge, he really lit up and said he was proud of those lyrics and his own band's version. Then....

me: nice to meet you Tom, I'll see you later

Tom: ok, see you in Chicago Dug

me: I'm not going to Chicago

Tom: we'll find a way to make it happen!

me: ok, cool!

2 hours ago, McGregor said:

Guy gets in line for a phish show before the sun comes up? :P You are doing it wrong brother, sorry. 

I have done that :smug: Are we not supposed to do that?

no, you can do it, just doesn't seem like a very good idea haha

tell us about it. Which show?  were you exhausted by show time? you don't lose your spot when you need a bathroom break once inside the venue?

Seems like a lot of work to get 20 feet closer. Worth it?

Edited by McGregor

1 hour ago, McGregor said:

no, you can do it, just doesn't seem like a very good idea haha

tell us about it. Which show?  were you exhausted by show time? you don't lose your spot when you need a bathroom break once inside the venue?

Seems like a lot of work to get 20 feet closer. Worth it?

3/1/2003

I slept overnight near the Greensboro Coliseum Steps. I was front row, right in front of Mike. I was tired, but since I was 21, it didn't matter much. I don't remember leaving to pee or eat, but I must have at some point. And yes, it was totally worth it. One of the best concert experiences of my entire life. I wouldn't do it again now that I am older, but I am glad I did it then.

28 minutes ago, Sagan said:

3/1/2003

I slept overnight near the Greensboro Coliseum Steps. I was front row, right in front of Mike. I was tired, but since I was 21, it didn't matter much. I don't remember leaving to pee or eat, but I must have at some point. And yes, it was totally worth it. One of the best concert experiences of my entire life. I wouldn't do it again now that I am older, but I am glad I did it then.

Wow, that was a great show.

I was page-side upstairs and remember thinking the floor looked crazy-crowded that night.  Good times!

Right before they started I Didn't Know you could see everyone on the floor push closer to hear. Looked scary from up top.

Edited by McGregor

He stood in front of my at the Hampton 99 shows.  I was slightly annoyed as he's like 6 foot 5 and obstructed my view a bit.  Then again I'm 6 foot 5, so I have no right to bitch. :P

Nice/smart guy.

Looking forward to listening to these podcasts.

19 minutes ago, woo said:

He stood in front of my at the Hampton 99 shows.  

That Hampton run gets mentioned in the "Riding the Rail" episode. That's where he first met the guy he interviewed.

Edited by wil-san

20 hours ago, wil-san said:

I think that was my favorite episode so far. Really digging this podcast. It's a great little dose of good cheer to start out the week. 

Me too, really liking them.

Two things I wanted to ask/comment on this one.  

1. I am pretty sure they stopped letting tapers tap into the SBD due to a taper inadvertently unplugging something that impacted Paul's setup and the greater show as a result. That's why the no SBD thing started. Became to chaotic for Paul.
  2. I always wondered how much a taper enjoys the show itself while there.  They touched on it briefly but  it seems like taping cuts into pre game activities.  Also  in the moment of the show itself is their mind more on their gear/sound/setup rather then what's being played?   Be curious the answer.

They brought up the point how non-tapers are getting taper tickets just to get into the pavilion now or to scalp and not tape.  I hope someone from Phish, Inc./Red Light hears this podcast and causes them to make that change so this won't happen.

Tapers are basically irrelevant in my world now(mad respect back in the day, and I still have several taper friends, but I and I am sure many many others just do not listen to AUD recordings anymore), so I'm not entirely sure they should have special reserved tickets. Maybe they need to change it so they wait in line before the show with their regular ticket to get into a roped off tapers section or something. 

I've never done it, but it's definitely tempting to request those tickets for a difficult show, knowing that it might increase your odds for a pavilion seat. What really needs to happen is they need to finally go to a non-transferable ticket system so that it's not as dog eat dog as it currently is.

8 minutes ago, Ludivigo said:

Is PT still considered the primary online Phish community?  When Trey & Mike say things about "phans online say..." are they talking about PT?  If so, that's sad.

Probably. The Phishyleaks section in the halloween Phish Bill were quotes form people on PT. 

I've visted PT about 3 times ever. I pref the Rhombus/Osyrus obviously.

Edited by Dustin