Oceans of Osyrus
Sign in to follow this  
dances_with_wooks

Show Of The Week #15 - 07/29/1998 Riverport Amphitheater, Maryland Heights, MO

Link Wednesday, 07/29/1998 
Riverport Amphitheater, Maryland Heights, MO

Set 1: Bathtub Gin, Dog Log, Foam, Fikus, Farmhouse > Vultures[1], Glide, Birds of a Feather

Set 2: Buried Alive -> If You Need a Fool[2], AC/DC Bag > The Lizards, Tube > Kung> Run Like an Antelope[3]

Encore: Waste > Golgi Apparatus > Bittersweet Motel

[1] Debut of new arrangement.
[2] Phish debut.
[3] Fish on vacuum for portion of intro.

Notes: The usually short Buried Alive was jammed for almost fifteen minutes. This show featured the Phish debut of If You Need a Fool, as well as the debut of the new arrangement of Vultures. A portion of the intro to Antelope featured Fish on vacuum. Bathtub Gin from this gig was included as filler on Live Phish 17.

I realize we have a couple SOTW entries from the 98 Euro tour in this same month but this night in St. Louis sticks out in my mind as one of the better shows I've seen and one of the, uh, weirder nights of my show going career.  Most of us are probably familiar with the gigantic Gin opener, which appears as filler on Live Phish 17 as noted above and is in contention for a "best ever" (though I personally lean towards the Went), but there's a LOT to like about this show overall.  Most notably the second set with a huge jammed out Buried Alive and a great flowing set following.  Enjoy.  I've been meaning to give this one a listen anyway since it's been a long while, so we all might as well hear this gem from what could be argued as one of the best years of the band's career. 

c0a9f83949320c66b74de8a3509162a1.jpg

1998-07-29mo.jpg

http://phish.in/1998-07-29

Edited by dances_with_wooks

one of the all time best show opening jams ever. talk about fired up pre gig- it's everything I love about the island tour twist- only better. I love these atypical shows .. even more so when it's not all schtick and the band unleashes their chops. dog log- foam - fikus- just a great run after the gin. the boys knew they played a keeper to open. set two is one of those must hear- mildly ambient .. bag - lizards - tube - Kung- antelope is  fantastic run of songs with the weirdness flowing into the antelope intro. I LOVED these tapes (and the Kansas show the night prior too) .. just top notch phish having some of their most fun ever.

Edited by madcap

1 hour ago, madcap said:

one of the all time best show opening jams ever. talk about fired up pre gig- it's everything I love about the island tour twist- only better. I love these atypical shows .. even more so when it's not all schtick and the band unleashes their chops. dog log- foam - fikus- just a great run after the gin. the boys knew they played a keeper to open. set two is one of those must hear- mildly ambient .. bag - lizards - tube - Kung- antelope is  fantastic run of songs with the weirdness flowing into the antelope intro. I LOVED these tapes (and the Kansas show the night prior too) .. just top notch phish having some of their most fun ever.

Hilarious that we now consider fikus part of a great run. At the time, Fikus was the ultimate bathroom break song. I remember half of Merriwether going to take a piss when they played it, and one person next to me said "what the fuck is this?". 

9 minutes ago, Sagan said:

Hilarious that we now consider fikus part of a great run. At the time, Fikus was the ultimate bathroom break song. I remember half of Merriwether going to take a piss when they played it, and one person next to me said "what the fuck is this?". 

Who is 'we'? Joe? :lol: 

Fikus was only played 5 times. I don't think that's enough to really categorize it one way or another :P I personally saw three of them, including this one. I am so (un?)lucky.

Edited by sunwasbleu

2 hours ago, Nigel said:

It's my personal favorite opener.  Just ridiculous.  How do you even follow up the rest of the show after that?

1 hour ago, dances_with_wooks said:

Who knew that a sub-3 minute weirdo semi-song could cast a shadow on such an otherwise awesome show? :coffee::P

But it cost us nothing !

looking forward to spinning this show this week - nice pick w00ks!

Wasn't there and it pains me too as I lived in STL from Kindergarten until about 2 months before this show. I caught many shows at Riverport including the 1st show there (Steve Windwood - free tix), the GNR Riverport Riot '91, my only Dead show ('94), Phish in '95 & '97 and the list goes on and on. I oddly graduated from college in St.Louis off cycle (Dec 97) and spent Dec until May jobless and looking for work. I ran out of money in May '98 and moved east to Virginia for work. Anyway, boo hoo....

Great pick... :music:

Edited by ICCULIS

4 hours ago, sunwasbleu said:

Who is 'we'? Joe? :lol: 

Fikus was only played 5 times. I don't think that's enough to really categorize it one way or another :P I personally saw three of them, including this one. I am so (un?)lucky.

Madcap and I agree on so many things Phish-related that I generally take his comments to be respective of all knowledgable phish fans here:

"Fikus can be considered part of a great run?"

If Madcap deems it, let it be so! 

1 hour ago, Sagan said:

Madcap and I agree on so many things Phish-related that I generally take his comments to be respective of all knowledgable phish fans here:

I can't tell if this is supposed to be self congratulatory or not. :P

19 hours ago, cappy said:

I can't tell if this is supposed to be self congratulatory or not. :P

:lol: Hahaha - it wasn't meant to be but it certainly sounds like it is now that I re-read! So long as it shows my appreciation for his Phish-geekery, that's all I was going for

S2 is great!

The 7-9 minute segment of Buried Alive is Firece!! Love the haunting shready vibe. Cool Del cover oddly fits in well and I wouldn't have expected that. Laid back Bag & Tube a la '98 funk w/ a great 'lope to close it out. Good shit....

gonna spin S1 later this afternoon. 

Slowly making my way through this show. Gin was very whoa. Absolutely loved it and listened to it twice more.

Wish they played Vultures more often, and I'm always up for Glide. 

Just started set 2, was completely expecting a DWD opener. About 2 minutes into Buried Alive. Will get back to you.

On June 1, 2016 at 10:13 AM, ICCULIS said:

S2 is great!

The 7-9 minute segment of Buried Alive is Firece!! Love the haunting shready vibe. Cool Del cover oddly fits in well and I wouldn't have expected that. Laid back Bag & Tube a la '98 funk w/ a great 'lope to close it out. Good shit....

gonna spin S1 later this afternoon. 

You listened to set 2 first? 

This Buried Alive...whoa. It reminds me of where a good AC/DC Bag can go when the band is in the mood, like in Fall 1997. I absolutely love it when the band goes off the deep end, but Trey keeps recalling the main theme of whatever song they began with--often done in Bathtub Gin. It's like a life preserver in the middle of a weird sea. He puts the Buried Alive theme out there a few times just to keep everyone afloat and a little grounded. Can't wait to listen to the rest of this set!