Oceans of Osyrus
Sign in to follow this  
stybeaujolais

Show of the Week #12 - 11/11/1995 Fox Theater - Atlanta GA

I was told to post Sunday, but I'm feeling Mavericky.  

If I had to pick a favorite all time show (impossible), this would probably be it.  This one capped off a stellar run at the Fox and the band pretty much destroyed the place.  I was there, so there's certainly some bias, but damn this show is good. 

Great song selection - a lot of big hitters, fun covers, little bluegrass, acapella, and fishman in a cape.  The first set MIke's>Day In the Life drop set the tone and it was all over but the crying (first 1st setter Mike's since 92 I think and 1st DITL 1st set appearance, though there hadn't been a ton of em at that point).  Standout Weekapaug, rocking Stash and CDT - Trey holds a note for exactly :60 in Chalkdust - funny that part of the solo just drove the place wild.  If you listen to auds you can hear wave after wave of crowd swells throughout the show.  Energy was high, and band was feeding off it. 

2nd set was intense.  That Bowie is very good, and the rest of the show was relentless.  The back half of the 2nd set felt like an encore for the entire weekend, finishing off with a raging Antelope.  Oh yeah - a smoking GTBT too. 

A band on fire... Enjoy. 

Saturday, 11/11/1995
The Fox Theatre, Atlanta, GA

Set 1: Cars Trucks Buses > Mike's Song > A Day in the Life > Poor Heart > Weekapaug Groove, The Horse > Silent in the Morning, Ya Mar, Stash, Amazing Grace[1], Fee[2] > Chalk Dust Torture

Set 2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > David Bowie, Suzy Greenberg > Uncle Pen, Fluffhead, Sleeping Monkey > Frankenstein -> Suspicious Minds > Hold Your Head Up, Run Like an Antelope

Encore: Acoustic Army, Good Times Bad Times

[1] Without microphones.
[2] Trey sang verses through megaphone.

Teases:
· The Lizards tease in Ya Mar
· Heartbreaker tease in Good Times Bad Times
· Black or White tease

Notes: Ya Mar contained Lizards teases from Trey. Amazing Grace was performed without microphones. Trey sang the verses of Fee through a megaphone. GTBT was preceded by a Black or White tease from Trey and subsequently included Heartbreaker teases.

Set II is pretty hard and heavy.  Nothing gets too far out there other than the HUGE bowie, but damn.  2001 Bowie Suzie Penn Fluff Monkey Frank?  Ok!

Mike's, 'Paug, Stash, and Ya Mar are great '94 Phish.  I love the way ADITL bubbles forth out of the end of Mike's... maybe its just the recording, but it sounds like they were playing LOUD this night.

I've spun S2 twice now and it rages. Monster Bowie & Fluff. Everything post Fluff is rocking & very fun. Surprising S2 highlight - Uncle Penn. hard for a tune like that to sit between Bowie/Susie & Fluff....but it does and shreds.

ill cue up S1 for my drive home tonight.....

On 4/29/2016 at 11:50 PM, stybeaujolais said:

If you listen to auds you can hear wave after wave of crowd swells throughout the show. 

On 5/5/2016 at 11:38 AM, sunwasbleu said:

Wave after wave of crowd turgidity?

On 5/6/2016 at 9:33 AM, stybeaujolais said:

there were boners everywhere. 

sounds like a way I should start my Friday.

I hope to work through the entire Fox run over the next 2-3 days.

I'd get on board with that this week.  Only familiar with 11/11 thus far.

On 5/9/2016 at 11:31 AM, just Nate said:

What a ride.  I haven't fully absorbed this show so I can't comment much, but that Antelope was news to me.  Just downright huge and filthy.  

and the selection for Show of the Week #12 is....