Oceans of Osyrus
Sign in to follow this  
teenagewasteland

Phish Summer Tour 2014

http://lastrewind.com/phish-20140729-portsmouth-va/

The weekapaug is pretty different and worth hearing.  Last night ended pretty strong from a song standpoint from Waves through the end of the show.  I'll take a Wingsuit > Coil encore any time. 

no one mentioning SOAM. i haven't heard it yet, but in the chat, casey said it was pretty good. best it's sounded "in many moons."

look, phish is in many ways a very different band these days. i get that. this isn't 1995. the funk of '97 is gone. the spacey drugged out stuff from 2003 ain't happening anymore. what we do get is still pretty good though. the band is lighter and more playful. the new album is the best thing they've done in a decade. we always talk about "how much fun they're having," which is great. for them. it doesn't always translate, but whatever. i digress.

it's really weird to me that phish seems to have lost the handle with SOAM (and to a lesser degree, stash). in the grand scheme of things, it's no big deal, but i can't help puzzling over it. when was the last truly blistering version? antelope, stash and melt rage harder than just about anything in their repertoire, and all seem to have softened as of late. melt especially.

The SOAM stumbled a bit for the first few minutes, but it did find some interesting places and I saw a few heads explode around me.  I personally preferred it to the Antelope, which seemed a little forced for me.  Melt had some good type II going on in it.

How so?

I believe he's being snarky in the listing of KDF and CDT together.  

Edit: what wilsan said, except the part about liking KDF.  Don't necessarily dislike it but could do without.  Just one humble man's opinion.

Edited by dances_with_wooks

kill devil falls makes me stop dancing. not good for a phish show. the song is so boring and uneventful that at 8-10 minutes its almost perfect for the first set piss break. i would be happy to never hear it again, myself.

I mean, the ultimate issue is that the band has been playing those songs for 20+ years. In the case of SOAM, it's 25. It's hard to imagine the band still being able to find somewhere to go with it after so many times playing it. I guess you could say the same with Hood and Antelope, and to some degree, I am a bit tired of hearing those songs too.

Honestly, I'd be plenty happy if they went with the 97 model of axing a lot of their staples. It really forces them to up the ante.

I'd axe: Hood, Mikes and Weekapaug, Antelope, Stash, Divided Sky, Fluffhead, Bouncin, Wilson, Free, Wolfman's, Suzy, Zero, First Tube, Tube, Lawn Boy, and Possum.

i'm sort of done with the standard issue mike's groove. hood can still go places and i hold out hope whenever i hear antelope. divided sky and fluffhead are songs that i enjoy for their precision (which can be hit or miss), but i'd be ok with it if the band shelved them in favor of esther and guyute.

edit: first tube? lawn boy? really? and bouncin'? people have been hating on that song for 20+ years. it's 5min and it's completely pleasant.

Edited by paulitical

I'd axe: Hood, Mikes and Weekapaug, Antelope, Stash, Divided Sky, Fluffhead, Bouncin, Wilson, Free, Wolfman's, Suzy, Zero, First Tube, Tube, Lawn Boy, and Possum.

yeah this list is insane. if all those songs get the cut, then guess who's definitely hearing more kill devil falls? jesus christ what at hought. leave first tube, wolfmans, divided, stash and fuck you i like bouncin. the rest i agree can get cut. i'd also add 2001 to the cut list.

Shelve Fluff in favor of Guyute.  Now I've heard everything.  Guyute literally never changes.  That's a once-a-tour song for me but to each their own. 

I don't get overly excited for Mike's.  I enjoyed last night's paug because it was different than most versions but overall I am sort of indifferent. 

I'll never get tired of hearing Antelope or First Tube.

edit:  I also don't spend hours upon hours listening to Phish shows anymore so I base my opinions more on what I want to hear live, in the moment so it may be just a different point of view. 

Edited by dances_with_wooks

Shelve Fluff in favor of Guyute.  Now I've heard everything.  Guyute literally never changes.  That's a once-a-tour song for me but to each their own. 

how often does divided change? it's pretty much the same song every time. a little more sustain here, a bit more climax there. i'm not saying play guyute every night, but twice in an 8-10 show run would be totally cool. it's one of their most theatrical songs. when they nail it, it's fucking brilliant.

edit: i just realized you were talking about "fluff" instead of divided sky. sorry. still, i wanna see them play guyute more. i'm cool with fluffhead.

Edited by paulitical

I was talking to Mike in the Phish Bowl years ago, and he said there's a part in Guyute that he simply can't play.  They had to resort to studio trickery when they recorded it for SOTG.  

Edited by Nigel

He was taking a stab at Kill Devil Falls, saying it's the same song as Chalkdust. I think it's a cool tune, myself.

Ok... That's kind of what I thought. They were definitely two different songs last night.

I don't understand hate for KDF. When Trey digs in on that song, it's fierce!

I was talking to Mike in the Phish Bowl years ago, and he said there's a part in Guyute that he simply can't play.  They had to resort to studio trickery when they recorded it for SOTG.  

Hmm, I wonder what part this is. We could listen to the Bearsville sessions to see what changed.

My guess is either the sequence of descending notes at 2:24 in the SOTG version, or the crazy high notes he plays around 4:17 into the really tricky run.

yeah this list is insane. if all those songs get the cut, then guess who's definitely hearing more kill devil falls? jesus christ what at hought. leave first tube, wolfmans, divided, stash and fuck you i like bouncin. the rest i agree can get cut. i'd also add 2001 to the cut list.

Is it? I don't know, look at all the songs the band axed in Europe in spring of 97. They came out of that with new material and better than ever.