• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#1 Damon

Damon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 892 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:52 PM

If your reading this your probably curious as to what exactly happened to Osyrus. This post is to explain in long form why your looking at a new forum.

Our server reached EOL (end of life) in March. What that means is the server's hardware is outdated, and the company no longer provides support (meaning, its broke, they don't fix it). The plan was to move Osyrus over to a new server. I looked at various companies and found more problems than solutions. Our database was way out of control, almost 2 gb worth of data. No company will import or allow an IPB database that large (most require under 500mb). This is somewhat my fault, as I never archived old threads, removed closed threads, or split large threads. That type of cleanup is what keeps databases in line, whereas we were just growing with no means of control in site. We also had converted the database several times to new formats due to updates in IPS software and php releases, overtime that corrupts entries and is why we saw issues like login fails, and various weirdness with accounts. The last conversion being the worst of it. I also found most hosts to be unreliable with IPS boards based on user reviews. My conclusion was to move to IPS hosting, it is super stable, the same company that makes the boards software, relatively cheap (30-50 per month depending on traffic), and would allow the growth of larger databases.

My plan was to move to IPS hosting at the end of this current billing cycle, which is May 26th. Sadly, Sunday night, our primary hard drive died, and the server went into a safety mode, switching to backup. It also decided that it would revert to an older build of Apache and PHP. Well that fucked me. We were on php 5.5 and without it, our database was totally inaccessible. I couldn't even get into it with command line shell access. I was finally able to rebuild the servers base software, and access the database, what I extracted is partial, and even a full dump with mysqldump produces a corrupt database that doesn't pass the various safety checks needed to import into the new site. The other issue is that databases size in the first place. While IPS will allow sites to grow on their servers, they don't help importing sites from other servers, nor do they allow large SQL imports. In the end, no matter what we were going to lose a good amount of post data. Even if I had the intact database, it would probably break the new site given the differences in a converted database and one that was fresh (as this one is).

There are some good things to come from this. We are now on IPS hosting, they make our software, so being hosted by them is ideal as the support is much better, the database will always remain, and there is no longer any server admin work. Even updates are applied automatically, if a SQL error comes up they will fix it before I even have time to report it. By far the best way of hosting an IPS site for longterm growth and stability. They also index better with Google, and are more searchable so we may see increased traffic from basic searches like "Phish discussion". It's cheaper, based on traffic. Right now I'm paying $30 a month, which gets you up to 30 active users at one time (we usually average 15-25). You can also increase your active users based on traffic, so if we started seeing 50 active at once, we would be bumped up to the $50 a month plan (they don't throttle users, or cut people off from login). The most we ever had active at once on Osyrus was 45. It's also a rolling average, which takes spikes into account (so if one day we see 70, that doesn't bump us up to $70 a month).

I apologize for what was, in my mind, inevitable. I couldn't continue to pay for our old hosting at the rate they wanted for a new server, and I had moved my business site to other hosting that falls in line with photo industry standards. My cost had been $160 per month and would have gone up to $200. The database had been worked over through the years, and was at a point where a clean wipe is the only way to ensure it doesn't fail in the future. Now we are in a more permanent location, at a substantially reduced cost, with overall better performance and long term stability.
  • Greta, kosikyr, kaskBicaarcar and 2 others like this

#2 Ye_Olde_Database

Ye_Olde_Database

Pirate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:05 PM

Thanks for nothing.
  • Greta and fluffygnar like this

#3 Greta

Greta

CrapBin

• Donating Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • LocationTPOT

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:39 PM

Well double dang.

Thanks for all your hard work, D.... sounds super annoying.

Out with the old >>> in with the new!

:wub:

#4 Damon

Damon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 892 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:02 PM

If the site disappears on you that's the DNS updating. The site is fine, but it can take up to 72 hours for DNS to resolve across all servers, which can make the site intermittent depending on your location.

#5 knownrider

knownrider

Sith Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:10 PM

New site. Same jerks.

Big D - you're the man! It sounds like you could have easily just let the OoO die. This is a much better solution. I kind of like the clean slate every few years. It's like an enema for our community.
  • Alyssa and fluffygnar like this
Levon Helm: Near Memphis, cotton country, rice country, the most interesting thing is probably the music... That's kind of the middle of the country back there. So bluegrass or country music, you know, if it comes down to that area and if it mixes there with rhythm and if it dances, then you've got a combination of all those different kinds of music. Country, bluegrass, blues music. Show music.
Martin Scorsese: And what's it called?
LH: Rock and roll.

#6 cappy

cappy

Sith Lord

• Administrators
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationReading, MA

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

So you're saying you like enemas?
Cappy™ - Not helping the situation since 1976.

#7 Nate

Nate

Sith Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:38 PM

I had to struggle to resist the urge to steal Zander's screen name, for shits and giggles.

agree with knownrider. you gotta do a reboot every now and then. Thanks for being awesome, Damon.
@EVILdaycarekid
http://greerwebsolutions.com

#8 LobsterTacos

LobsterTacos

Sith Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationDistrict 62, RI

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:51 PM

FIRST!!

D'oh!
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

#9 Josh

Josh

Sith Lord

• Donating Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:08 PM

Sounds like a pain in the ass to deal with Damon, thanks for all the work you've put in and continue to do (not to mention the funding itself). I haven't posted much lately but still visit regularly, so thanks again.

#10 Christopher

Christopher

Sith Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:20 PM

Thanks for everything Damon. Good to be back. Feelagroove>Mairanse>Christopher in case anyone is keeping track.

#11 cappy

cappy

Sith Lord

• Administrators
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationReading, MA

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:32 PM

Holy shit, you were feelagroove?!

I did not know that.
Cappy™ - Not helping the situation since 1976.

#12 Christopher

Christopher

Sith Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:02 PM

Yes...Yes I was. :)

#13 The Wiz

The Wiz

Senator

• Moderators
  • 149 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:25 PM

Holy shit, you were feelagroove?!

I did not know that.

Ha! I didn't know that either.

#14 dug less beers

dug less beers

Sith Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:31 PM

I'm BACK

Posted Image
the blues ain't nothing but a good man feelin bad

#15 Pole

Pole

Sith Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationIn the cool shade of the banana tree

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:53 PM

There was a woman in my training class yesterday who looked like Steven Tyler. It was disturbing. :crazy:

Silly monkeys give them thumbs,
They make a club,
And beat their brother, down.
How they survive so misguided is a mystery.

#16 Beermug

Beermug

Senator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:55 PM

And pretty sure we won't know that you were Mairanse either before long. I remember maybe 15% of name switches......no, make that I remember 1 name swtich: Nader used to be Phrodo. Other than that, I just assume I've known everyone on here for the past 10 years or so (holy hell has it been that long?).

Damon, happy to hear that costs have come down, even if headaches continue to ensue. Your diligence and persistence with making us a home is always deeply appreciated.

Long Live 3.0!!

Posted Image

#17 Damon

Damon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 892 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:55 PM

There was a woman in my training class yesterday who looked like Steven Tyler. It was disturbing. :crazy:

Dude does indeed look like a lady.

#18 Beermug

Beermug

Senator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:57 PM

Wow, I have zero warning points? There's a first time for everything in life I suppose....

#19 Damon

Damon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 892 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:14 PM

Wow, I have zero warning points? There's a first time for everything in life I suppose....

Not that you ever had warnings, but all warnings that were in the system are gone. That's a good clean slate for everyone I think, we also have no ban's in place (nor am I rebanning old members that might come back). Everyone still needs to remember this is a moderated community, and no changes to the rules have been made. So yes, some are getting a second chance, but that also means they have much less rope if a problem does arise.
  • Zander likes this

#20 The Illustrious Seth

The Illustrious Seth

Rhombus Ent

• Moderators
  • 1,124 posts
  • LocationCharlestown, RI

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:25 PM

If the site disappears on you that's the DNS updating. The site is fine, but it can take up to 72 hours for DNS to resolve across all servers, which can make the site intermittent depending on your location.

Yeah, I couldn't get it all day at work. But if finally kicked in. Huzzah!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users